share Printprint Decrease text size Increase text sizetext size
Give Now

URI Foundation Announces Record-setting Year-end Fundraising Totals

Over $18.9 Million Raised in Cash for FY 2011 Becomes Highest Amount Ever Received in One Year at URI

KINGSTON, R.I.- (September 8, 2011) – The URI Foundation announced today that $18,946,555 was received in charitable donations during the fiscal year 2011 (ending June 30, 2011), setting a new all-time high record for the total amount of cash received in one year. The figure represents an increase in 10.3% over last year’s total of $17,180,674, which was the previous record breaking total.

“We are so fortunate to be able to count on the continued and growing generosity of our alumni and friends,” Foundation Interim President Wendy A. Bucci said, adding, “the level and breadth of support we receive makes a significant impact on the overall academic experience here at URI, the effects of which are felt across the campus community. Despite a difficult economy, we have seen historic giving levels to URI. We are deeply grateful to our donors.”

According to Bucci, donors-- alumni and friends of the University alike-- contributed charitable gifts last year, providing vital support across the board to all colleges and major program areas, including athletics and the Fund for URI. Over half of the total dollar amount of all cash gifts received by the University in this time period consisted of major gifts of at least $100,000.

Approximately 44% of the $18.9 million received in FY 2011 was earmarked to fund existing or create new endowments. The remaining 56% was used to provide direct charitable operating support across the University. These gifts, as with all gifts to the University, are used for purposes specified by donors and may be designated for restricted or unrestricted use.

The University’s endowment portfolio, managed by the URI Foundation, was valued at $102 million on June 30, 2011, the last reported quarter. The Foundation recently disbursed an annual endowment payout to the University of over $3 million dollars- an increase in approximately 21 percent over last year’s disbursement. This payout, derived from a percentage of the endowment portfolio’s earnings, is used to support student scholarships, faculty and research, academic programming and enrichment initiatives, as well as other donor-selected areas of support.

The URI Foundation was created in 1957 and is an independent 501(c)(3) charged with overseeing all charitable fundraising activities on behalf of the University, as well as administering the University’s endowment portfolio. For more information on the URI Foundation, visit the "About the Foundation" section of this website.

For information, contact Tracey Manni, Communications Manager, at 401.874.2145. 


Return

For information on this or any news item, contact Tracey Manni in Development Communications, at 401.874.2145 or tmanni@foundation.uri.edu.